Upright Brewing

Upright Brewing specializes in farmhouse inspired beers rooted in France and Belgium but made with local ingredients and a Pacific Northwest twist. The name is a reference to Charles Mingus and his primary instrument. Mingus was a musician whose compositions defy categorization. At Upright we use a special saison yeast and open fermenters to produce beers that are a true hybrid style, sharing Mingus’ spirit of exercising creativity and craft.

The tasting room is open every Friday from 4:30 – 9pm and Saturday/Sunday from 1 – 6pm.

18 Responses to this post

On July 28th, 2008 at 5:49 pm Dad said:

Alex; great web article. The Oregon community will enjoy the superb beers you produce, and remember to send some bottles this way.
I am very proud of you.
Love
Dad

On July 29th, 2008 at 3:25 pm laura said:

Alex, your Dad rocks.

On July 30th, 2008 at 4:41 am Enrique Mirand said:

Dear Alex, it nice to know that your dream are coming truth, so keep going and give your best and the best things will come soon or late.
From Argentina , cousin,
Enrique

On August 3rd, 2008 at 9:49 am Thei said:

I am excited to hear about the brewery!! Is a brewpub or restaurant part of the project??

On August 3rd, 2008 at 9:56 am Shawn Bowman said:

There is certainly room for a restaurant, we’d love to see one in the building we’re also actively looking for a coffee cart or small purveyor who’d like to move in. If you know of someone who might be a nice fit, please send them our way.
Shawn

On August 3rd, 2008 at 12:51 pm Angelo said:

Alex is the shit! Not only as a brewer, but as a dude.

On October 8th, 2008 at 12:33 pm Neil said:

MMM…. Ganum Beer! Can’t wait for it.

On November 4th, 2008 at 11:32 am Alex Ganum of Upright Brewing Company | brewpublic.com said:

[…] Upright Brewing Co. […]

On November 6th, 2008 at 4:31 pm Jose Guzzi said:

Don Napio: realmente nos alegramos mucho que la “Orquidea Salvaje” (si todavia esta en los planes que se llame asi) este muy cerca de salir al mercado. Silvana y yo somos testigos de que tu cerveza es excelente. Pero tenes que venir a Tucuman a probar mi “Ciego Brown Ale” que es una maravilla!!!!!! Esperamos mas noticias. Exitos y un abrazo grande. Jose y Silvana

On November 12th, 2008 at 1:32 pm isaac said:

Hey Alex, This is Isaac(bj’s). I recently found out you are opening up a brewery! That kicks ass! I remember at bj’s you brewed a Berliner Wiess and some others that i had never even heard of at that time(but enjoyed tasting them). I am living in Utah for the moment, but when I am in P-town I want to taste some of your brews. I read that you might have open fermenters? That is awesome!
Isaac

On March 2nd, 2009 at 1:08 pm Annalou said:

Hey Alex, I wanted to talk to you about some pictures. Would you please email me your contact info? [email protected]. Thanks and I look forward to talking to you.

Annalou

On March 30th, 2009 at 10:11 pm 52 Weeks 20: Mad RIver Steelhead Double IPA « A pint for Dionysus said:

[…] you’re available to help your SO’s business move. I also got to meet Alex of Upright Brewing (the brewery is in the same building as the new PFM location) and he was gracious and enthusiastic […]

On July 23rd, 2009 at 9:02 pm How Coworking Is Working in Portland said:

[…] a wide range of office spaces for sustainability-minded businesses, such as software startup FMYI, Upright Brewing Co., consulting firm Blue Tree Strategies and several green design firms. The building is a vertiable […]

On August 10th, 2009 at 7:51 am aryn said:

One beautiful summer day I had the experience of trying Upright beer for the first time… it changed my perception of beer. I never liked beer untill I began sampling in the Northwest. Upright became my favorite. Now I am living in the southeast region of the country, I can’t find it nor get my hands on it anywhere.I sure do miss this brew. Hopefully one day soon I’ll make it back to get my fix. Congrats on the brewery!

On August 12th, 2009 at 5:03 pm Jose Guzzi said:

Napia: parece que tu cerveza tiene un exito increible. Me alegro mucho primo querido. Yo estoy aca en Tucuman tratando de copiar tu sistema de chopp con el freezer asi que en cualquier momento te pido mas fotos e indicaciones para armar eso. Despues del nacimiento de Joaquin, vuelvo a hacer cerveza artesanal, probando me parece una rubia de trigo. Te mando un gran abrazo y espero que siga tu marcha triunfal.
Jose Guzzi “Ciego”

On August 13th, 2009 at 11:01 am Leftbank Project focuses on community « Daily Journal of Commerce said:

[…] populated by businesses that share a common thread: community and sustainability. In the basement, Upright Brewing Company’s production facility uses local hops to create ales in French and Belgian […]

On August 16th, 2009 at 5:24 pm Amy said:

Thank you for some fantastic beer. I just went home to PDX to visit family for a couple of weeks and was able to try your gruit and #4 (which I loved). I wish I could have tried more. Good luck, and I’ll be keeping tabs on your progress. Maybe someday we’ll see your beer out here in KC MO! 🙂

On August 17th, 2009 at 8:13 am Erin said:

Are you officially open now? Congratulations!! I want to be sure I don’t miss listing your opening… Please email [email protected] if you get the chance. I know you are working hard – and again, here’s to a successful launch. Cheers!